Sunday 17 July 2011

A blog has begun

Hello and welcome to entrance to Redwall - The Game.

I will probably be updating the blog more often as it's a lot easier than creating a video then posting it onto Youtube. I'll be posting screen-shots of my progress every so often, so keep track of this page :)

Anyway, here's the low-down of what's been going on so far:
I always wondered how 3D games were created, so I started researching. After a day or so I started using TrueVision 3D engine (open-source FTW) with Basic, however I hated VB but was forced to use it since many examples/tutorials were online, but there C++ documentation was horrid & not many people used it so I unfortunately gave up on that after a week. Then I found Leadwerks game engine (closed-source :[ ), it looked much nicer and I was able to code in C++, came with a terrain editor but it was no way as efficient as TrueVision which gave a higher FPS. Thus I shall be sticking with Leadworks game-engine.

If you would like to help me with the game, I am in dire need of 3D modellers (to create 3D characters & animations), this is the most time consuming. Coding isn't difficult for me since I have wealth of programming knowledge however I really should be spending my time on that, not all of it on modelling. So if you have knowledge of 3D programming, and want to help me, it would be greatly appreciated (the engine uses GMF format for models, however I have converters for OBJ 3DW DAE FBX ). Contact me at: redwallthegame @ hotmail.co.uk

Here are some videos which I shot, whilst running the game in sandbox.
Redwall - The Game (1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xo7BrNn6DA
Redwall - The Game (2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_DO5mZpwOo

Note that, this is not the official "Redwall" architecture. I had to make adjustments to compensate for my small castle. But all the main stuff will be there, great hall, infirmary, pond, orchard, library, (cavern hole) etc..

Also here's a screenie of my recent progress (working on the side-building).

Don't forget to leave a comment & share this blog with all your Redwall friends :]

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Personally I was quite sad to see Benjy's project abandoned without notice, so I'm grad someone else is 'taking over' the project (even though who are starting from scratch).
    It's looking great to far and don't give up!
    -Gnengi

    P.s. And as youtube comments would say, FIRST!

    ReplyDelete