Wednesday 14 September 2011

A stroll through Mossflower Woods

Spent the past couple of days on the terrain AKA Mossflower Woods. I have over 20 different trees, 10 (green-leafed trees, with different rotations, branches, leaves etc), the rest are completely different models for trees. Surprisingly it's quite good on performance, all my trees are on average 700-1000polies, except some of the more extravagant trees (but they are placed very few to prevent too much polyies on the screen). All trees have collides so you can't run through them, all rocks if you notice in the vid have colliders as well. On bushes I allow the player to move through. Did anyone notice the flowers ;) .. Billboards are so awesome, by it self a billboard looks weird since it moves with you, but with so many spammed everywhere it actually does great justice. All those flowers only come at a price of about 2-5fps which is epic.

On average I can run through the forest (with day/night cycle enabled) at about 80-110fps (however this with tree shadows disabled since that takes about 20fps, but I can live without tree shadows), thus leaves me 50+fps to deal with AI and battles which should be enough, thus my game is already pretty much optimised for playibility. And mind you, I have an average laptop, ATI HD 4500 series, which is old-average. So if my laptop can handle this game, most other people should.


1 comment: